May. 24, 2019
– Rep. Jim Gregory (R-Blair), Rep. Louis C. Schmitt Jr. (R-Blair) and Sen. Judy Ward (Blair/Cumberland/Franklin/Fulton/Huntingdon) say they are saddened and concerned by news of job losses at North American Communications Inc. and Norfolk Southern, and they want to ensure the workers have the resources they need to find new employment.
Local media has reported 130 positions were eliminated by North American Communications Inc., a direct mail print production facility, closing its doors. Additionally, Norfolk Southern furloughed 60 people at its Juniata Locomotive Shop.
The Department of Labor and Industry has pledged available resources to assist the affected workers and their families. The department’s Rapid Response team will meet with workers to provide them with information about and access to services, including unemployment insurance, health and pension benefits, financial credit counseling, training programs, job search activities, education services and social service programs.
An information session is scheduled for 10 a.m. Wednesday, June 5, at the Blair County Convention Center in Altoona. The free event will be on the basement level.
There is a Rapid Response Information Guide that can be downloaded from the Department’s website, which is available here
Those needing assistance can contact:
• Gregory’s office at 814-695-2398.
• Schmitt’s office at 814-946-7218.
• Ward’s office at 814-695-8386.
• the Blair County Chamber of Commerce at 814-943-8151.
• CareerLink at 814-940-6200.
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Jennifer Fitch